Navigators can assist with ensuring you have the correct information listed on your application, help you find your case status within minutes of submitting the application, and help with all follow-up steps including getting cases approved, reporting changes, and helping answer your questions about your program. Before starting the application, we will need to cover a few very important topics:
Anyone in the household who is earning income will need to include this on the application. This includes things like wages from an employer, unemployment, social security, retirement, self-employment, etc.
It helps to know your most recent month’s income amounts, and previous year’s amounts (if you have not experienced a job change or for those who are self-employed), and have a basic estimate of your income for the year. Those who have inconsistent or varying incomes will want to spend some time reviewing previous months’ incomes and get a rough estimate of what their yearly income may look like.
A household is considered a tax household. Below are common household situations, but if you don’t see yours, call us to speak to a navigator about your questions.
- If you do not have a spouse, you do not have tax dependents and are not claimed as a dependent, you will file an application by yourself.
- If you do not have a spouse, and you have dependents such as children, you will include those dependents on your application. If you live with the children’s parents but you are not married, you will include them on the application.
- If you do not have a spouse, and you are claimed by someone as a dependent, you will need to claim anyone who claims you as a dependent on your application.
- If you are married and have children, you will include them in the application.
Employer-sponsored insurance and additional tax details
If anyone in the household has existing insurance or has access to insurance through an employer, this information must be included in the application. Those with employer’s insurance offered must fill out the Appendix A form prior to beginning the application. This form can be found on the MNsure site and will be completed by your employer.
Program eligibility varies depending on many factors. Common circumstances that may impact one’s eligibility include:
- Married couples who file separately
- Married couples who are separated or planning to divorce
- Married couples who are caring for someone but not claiming them as a dependent
Ready to apply?
Our MNsure certified navigators can help you submit an application both in person and over the phone today! Schedule an appointment on our website at brivahealth.com or call us toll-free at 855-5MNSURE (855-566-7873).