How Should I Report My Income?

When helping consumers with their MNsure application, the most common problem we encounter is with reporting income. Reporting income correctly is very important, as it is what determines your eligibility for health insurance. It can be confusing to know what kinds of income to report, and how your overall projected annual income (PAI) is calculated.

Therefore, we’ve constructed a guide that tells you what income you should report and how it will affect your eligibility through MNsure.

What kinds of income do I need to report?

As a general rule of thumb, any income that is taxable needs to be included on your MNsure application. This includes:

  • Adjusted gross income for self-employment
  • Income from salary
  • Tips from your job
  • Wages before taxes from your job
  • Any taxable social security
  • Pensions/dividends
  • Disability payments
  • Unemployment
  • Interest
  • Lump sum income (inheritance, lottery winnings, severance payments, insurance settlements)

Income that does not need to be reported on the application includes:

  • Supplemental security income
  • Child support
  • Worker’s compensation
  • Veteran’s payment
  • Public assistance
  • Non-taxable social security

Do I need to provide proof of my income?

Yes, you will need to provide proof of income in order for the MNsure Navigators at Briva Health to help you complete the application. We ask for this information to ensure that your application is done correctly, and that you are given the appropriate eligibility. MNsure may also ask you to provide proof of income once you have submitted an application.

All income reported on the application should be gross, before any taxes have been taken out. Acceptable forms for proof of income vary depending on your particular situation. Below are a few common examples of appropriate documents based on your employment status.

If you are self-employed, acceptable documents include:

  • Most current tax returns
  • A statement of profit and losses

If you are a salaried employee, acceptable documents include:

  • Most current tax returns
  • A W2 form from your current job
  • Paystubs

If you are an hourly employee, acceptable documents include:

  • A month’s worth of paystubs
  • A W2 from your current job

For other income types, such as social security, unemployment or pension, acceptable documents include:

  • A statement of benefits from the issuing agency

When do I report income changes?

Anytime you have a long-term change in income or job status, you need to report that to your agency office. Long-term changes include a permanent increase or decrease of hours or pay, loss of job, change in employee sponsored insurance, or transition to another job.

It is important to make these changes promptly, as they may affect your eligibility. If you are enrolled in Medical assistance, you will report your income changes to your county; if you are enrolled in MinnesotaCare, you will report your changes to MinnesotaCare; and if you are enrolled in Qualified Health Plan (QHP), you will report changes to MNsure.

If you have further questions, or need help reporting your income, please contact us at 855.566.7873.